August 29, 2013

That Labor Day Novel Thing: Taking On the 3-Day Novel Challenge

Because NaNoWriMo just isn't enough, apparently.

So who, in their right mind, would write a novel in three days? (Let alone the 30 required for NaNoWriMo.) There are certainly a couple of crazy people out there, and I am one of them. The 3-Day Novel Contest requires you to write an entire novel in 3 days. You heard me right. 3 days. I'm not quite sure how my hands are going to adapt to it yet, but I'll make it.

This contest was started in Canada and has been going on for more than 35 years. You start writing at midnight on Saturday of Labor Day and don't stop until Monday night, unless you want to stop by then. I told my roommate that it was akin to NaNoWriMo on crack, which sounds about right.

Yes, in case you're wondering, I'm planning on doing this contest. I will be writing a novel in 3 days, one that has absolutely nothing to do with Dvorak. I have my plan (pend) sorted out and I even have most of my time sorted out into blocks, but I know these are flexible. This is why I have an assistant. A rather good looking assistant who gladly does all of this for free (or at least a back massage).

I will be livetweeting my 3-Day Novel experience @SOSICapSid. I will be hashtagging #3DayNovel the entire time, as well as giving occasional updates on Facebook. Needless to say, it's going to be hard (especially on my hands -- I'll be QWERTYing it the entire time unless I really start having problems, and then I'll switch between QWERTY and Dvorak) so I could use all the support you want to give.

So what is my story about? I can't say explicitly, but it's not a new story to me. I even tried to write the entire thing down once...the summer after my junior year. And while the book was kind of bad, my dedication to this story wasn't. While I can't say the story exactly, my oldest fans (dating back to high school) know that the tagline www.@ has been used for it in the past. When I tweet this weekend, I will occasionally use the hashtag #wwwdotatmark to give some insight into my head and the process. The story is where the hashtag comes from.

It is my sincerest hope that you'll join me on this journey.

Goggles on, folks. You've got mail.

No comments:

Post a Comment