August 14, 2013

Rainbows and Butterflies

It's not easy to write a blog post when you're depressed.

I seem to have highs and lows these days. Most of it is because there are eight million people I can compare myself to on these lonely islands. I'm surprised all of us aren't in some form of therapy. In fact, some people think I do need therapy. I do have therapy -- I have writing, and music, and a boyfriend who listens no matter what, and a world I can wrap myself in. But there are still days where it's just hard to get out of bed in the morning.

Furthermore, there should be three steps I should follow whenever I get depressed:

1: Remember that this is a normal occurrence and there is no reason to freak out, or put myself down further. Also, remember that there is a world outside your room, outside these islands. Up north, there's a kid who takes pictures. Out west, there's a roller coaster with my name on it. Things may seem like they suck, but those are only lies that we all tell ourselves to keep ourselves "safe." In reality, that's an outdated fight or flight system, isn't it? We don't need that anymore, not in that way, at least. We should be scared of rabid bears on the loose, not of standing on stage and singing.

2: Get up from where I am, no matter how hard it is. Get some food, even if it's just chocolate. If possible, go outside and go get something. Start walking. Dance.

3: Never look back.

What about you? What do you do when everything's not rainbows and butterflies?

No comments:

Post a Comment